My First Run

I woke early on a Sunday morning. The temperature outside was a perfect running weather temperature. My arm band came in the Friday before, you know the ones to hold MP3 players or phones. (Sorry, no I-Stuff here)

I put on my long shorts, a sleeveless running shirt, tied my shoes up. I plugged the headphones into my phone, slide the phone into the arm band, and strapped it to my pale arm. Three first where happen this day, the day before Halloween. First first, I was about to go out side in shorts. Has not happened since the great summer of '88, but today, 23 years later, it was gonna happen. Second first, sleeveless shirt. Or as Ned Flanders called them, "Wife Appreciation Shirt". Again, since about '88 since I went out in public like this. The third first, about 15 years since my last run.

I turned on my running app and off I went. It wanted me to do a brisk walk for five minutes. After the computer generated lady was talking, the first song from my play list came on. Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at the Moon". I was pumped, I was rocking, I was walking. I decided I was going to do this at a park by my house, which is about 5 minutes away. I know this because the nice computer lady asked me to start running, plus gave me lots of number for which I do not know why.

What is cool about the couch to 5K program is that, I ran for about 30 to 60 seconds, then got to walk. It was enough to make me feel like I was about to have a heart attack, but not.

I got to walk for what seemed longer then my running. Then, she told me to run again. Then walk. I never knew this park was so big. I got to see some houses all dressed up for Halloween, which would come in handy the following night, as these where the houses with all the candy, for the girls.

I made it around the park once and the lady came on and said "You have gone half way".

I couldn't believe it, I have ran half of a 5K all ready? Damn, I am good. Rocking out to Ozzy, still on his album "Bark at the Moon", walking/running a 5K on my first day.

Then it hit me. I was turning the corner, she came on and told me to run. I could of sworn I was moving like a F-16, but in reality my feet where barely moving. They felt as though they where covered with bricks. I had a hard time picking them up. My breathing started to get heavy. After running/walking half way to a 5K, I was about to stop. How could I go on? It was a terrible idea, running. If God wanted us to run, why did he give us the car? Surely I could find something else, something closer to the couch I can do as I watch "the Peoples Court".

Then, she told me to walk. What? You just told me to run. I was so concentrated on my tiredness that I didn't even realize I jogged the 30-60 seconds. And then, before I knew it, she had me walking a cool down. My program.had been completed already. "3.1 fuck-in miles" is all I thought. I can do this in my sleep.

I got home just in time for her to tell me I was done with my cool down. I could believe it. I did it.

Out of breath I plopped down in from of the TV and pulled my phone out of the arm band. I looked at to my shock, I didn't run 3.1 miles, but 1.5.

I learn two things that Sunday, well maybe three.

1- The program is truly designed for lazy bums like me to accomplish goal and make us feel like our lives mean something

2- Even though it is only 1.5 Miles that I ran, I ran (or jogged) 1.5 Miles today. I can do it.

3- Found this out the very next day, never, ever EVER run without stretching, before and after. I was feeling the pain for the next two days.

Oh, and I was going to post some pre-running pictures, but since no one reads this blog, who cares...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

why? Oh why?

School, you idiot

Forget, I said...Forget